Thursday, March 24, 2011

Barbecue Hawaiian Pizza

Menu: Barbecue Hawaiian Pizza; Mango Salad with Guacamole

Wish I could have learned some lessons tonight, but I don't think I did.  Pizza should be easy, right?  Well, it sure isn't in my kitchen.  Am I just trying to have my cake and eat it, too?  (And really, what could possibly be wrong with that?  Worst idiom ever.)

The crust.  The crust is my problem.  I don't like any pre-formed crusts that I've tried so far, so I buy dough and roll it out.  Or rather, I knead it into a cookie sheet while swearing.  I do own a pizza stone.  I know that you have to let it preheat with the oven.  I know that you can sprinkle cornmeal on it to keep the dough from sticking.  But how to get the dough onto the stone?  Do I need a pizza peel?

Despite the work, the pizza was good.  I like Publix's pizza dough, and tonight I used their 5-grain.  It's good, but it's even harder to knead out because the 5 grains tend to make holes in the dough.  For the sauce, I used a mixture of canned tomato sauce and tomato paste, then mixed in a little barbecue sauce (a little goes a long way).  After wrestling with the dough, I spread the sauce over it, sprinkled it with fresh oregano and onions, then layered shredded gouda and cheddar, roasted red peppers, pineapple chunks, shredded carrots, and ground white pepper.  I baked it at 450 degrees for 10 minutes and it was pretty much perfect (even if the picture isn't that pretty):
The kids eat a little bit of pizza, but strangely they really aren't crazy about it in any form.  So I made this salad with leftover produce so Sophie could at least eat mangoes for dinner:

No comments: