Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Emily's Top Ten: Favorite Foods

I should lay down a disclaimer first... I cannot control myself around most food. I love to eat. I love different tastes and textures and it's rare that I'm not in the mood to eat something.

That said, there are also few foods I won't eat. But since you don't want to take all day to read this post I suppose I can name just 10... especially since I would also hate to wimp out of a challenge.

Fruit. All fruit. I have never met a fruit I didn't like. I make a list of our weekly meals on the refrigerator and I include fruit in each one. Then when I am about to totally devour the pint of strawberries in the fridge I can look and see that if I eat them now we will have no fruit for lunch the next time. And since tugging two small children along to the grocery is not on my Top Ten: Favorite Things To Do list, I put the berries back. Oh man oh man...just scrolling through the google images for fruit made me start jonesing for a kiwi.


Rubbed Dalmation Sage. I discovered this deliciousness a few months ago. I had a coupon and spices were on sale at Publix so I tried some new ones. This is the. best. spice. ever. in eggs. Which brings me to..


Eggs. I know, I know. This doesn't exactly follow the rules of the challenge because it has to be cooked- but so does bacon, so there. I could eat eggs twice a day. Scrambled, omelets, fried, quiche, deviled, on a sandwich, in a bread hole, hard boiled, in cookie batter, in muffin batter, in brownie batter, in cake batter, in a box with a fox. Incredible, edible, eggs.



Chocolate Milk. A total treat. We never had chocolate milk in the house when I was growing up but if you were lucky enough to go to the grocery store by yourself with mom there would often be a small carton of chocolate milk to pass between you both. I still don't stock it in our fridge but occassionally I treat myself and the girls to a bottle at the grocery. And it makes me smile every time. Salsa. Not the kind in a glass jar or large plastic pouring container. It has to be kind in a little tub in the refrigerated section. Forever and ever I didn't like salsa very much. I liked it in restaurants but not at home. But that is only because I wasn't eating the right kind. This stuff plus some tortilla chips or some eggs is a meal for me. Throw in some black beans...omg. Niva and Grant love it too and I really have a hard time sharing.

Vinegar. I buy this vinegar in all flavors and containers large and small. I add it to pie crust, pasta dishes, rice, sour kraut dishes, sauces, dressings, marinades, chicken, eggs(!), salads... I love to make things sweet and sour at least once a week. Eventually I imagine myself making different flavors on my own. (pic with a little shout out to my fave pittsburgh company!) Diet Coke. But only from a soda fountain. Cans are okay if it's over ice but only from a plastic in an emergency situation. And if I find it in a tall glass bottle please don't talk to me until it's finished. I'm obsessed. For some people it's coffee in the morning, for me it's Diet Coke. I know, I know, yadda yadda yadda, it's not healthy, yadda yadda, all that caffeiene...I'm over it. I know and I still love it. Quaker Steak and Lube's Golden Garlic Sauce. This restaurant is a family obsession. We have been known to plan entire vacations around where we can get Quaker Steak wings. A few years ago we all realized we could buy their sauce and use it home and our kitchens have never been the same since. I only make wings once a year for the superbowl but other times I use this sauce on baked chicken or as a sandwich spread. They make other flavors too but this is the best one. Buy it and then try to deny it if you dare. Cinnamon. Did you know cinnamon is a natural blood sugar stabilizer? It is. And it tastes great. Added with sugar on toast. Sprinkled over yogurt or fruit. In pasta dishes. On sweet potatoes. In pancakes and french toast. In cookie batter and cake batter and muffin batter. Yellow Rice. By far my favorite of the rice varieties. I know it has to be cooked but I really just throw it in my rice cooker with some water and it's done in about 20 minutes. And I then I use the large serving spoon that came with my rice cooker and I eat it right out of the pot. Sometimes I throw in some black beans and sometimes I make a bunch so I can share it with my family. I love it hot but I'm not opposed to eating it cold out of the fridge a few hours later or in the morning.

3 comments:

beckim82 said...

Three reactions:

1. Can't believe I forgot to forbid beverages! Maybe you're right and they should be included. But then I need to bump something from my list to make room for Italian red wine.

2. We have tons of fruit, too, since that's basically the only thing I know Sophie will eat. I'd never thought of it as a mealtime staple before, but I can't complain since I love fruit as well. Is there ANY fruit that is in season at this moment? Nothing seems to be featured at the stores or in farmer's markets.

3. I have been to Quaker Steak & Lube many times. Always on all-you-can-eat-wings night. My first time, I ate 40. The waiter said he would buy my wings if I ate more wings than all the other dudes at my table (yes I was the only girl), but I came in 3rd. Fortunately those days are behind me, but the Golden Garlic was by far my favorite sauce!

princess granola said...

1. ha! i was wondering why you didn't add wine to your list!

2. when i read the part of the challenge where you said it should be something you want to eat all of before you get into your house the very first thing i thought of was fruit.

3. i forgot that you gre up in quaker steak territory too! did you know there's supposably one in destin!? i've never been there though. my family is obsessed. we take pictures outside and we all have them framed in our houses. :) you and i need to make a date to destin one day. and oh my friend, quaker steak wings are never behind you!!

Best panini press said...

panini grill scraper
panini grill brush
panini press scraper
panini grill cleaning tool
panini press brush
panini scraper