Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Becki's Top Ten: Favorite Foods

This week I'm mostly making meals that I've already blogged about, so today I'm calling Emily out to do a list with me.  The question is simple: what are your ten favorite foods?  The rules: first, the foods don't absolutely have to be single-ingredient, but they shouldn't be something that someone cooks or assembles for you.  Second, it has to be all about the pleasure of eating!  No practical considerations allowed.  They should be the foods that you can barely stop yourself from eating straight from the package as soon as you bring them home from the store, or the ingredients that automatically make a meal ten times better for you.

Here are my top ten in no particular order, along with scintillating pictures I've pilfered from other online locations:

Bacon.  Just, bacon.  I love most other salted pork products too, especially Italian ones.


(By the way, if you're in the mood to do some double-takes, Google "bacon" in Images.  I thought bacon was just for eating, but apparently some people's obsession goes far beyond that.)

Dark chocolate.  When I was younger, I didn't like chocolate.  I still don't really care for milk chocolate, but in my adulthood I have developed a deep longing for dark chocolate, and I mean DARK.  Love it.

Cheese.  I know I should be more specific, but I love it all.  (Well, almost all... I must admit I'm not a fan of feta.)  I don't even know if I can name favorites, but I'll try: mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Romano, Muenster, Havarti, Gouda, Monterrey Jack, and Brie.  But it doesn't really matter.


Soy sauce.  Maybe the best and most versatile seasoning there is... as long as you don't use too much!



Rare beef.  Over the past few months I've come a long way in losing my taste for meat, which I think is a good thing.  The best part is that I don't have this craving that's satisfied with meat that really isn't very good, but I still appreciate the good stuff just as much.  And in my opinion, the good stuff is best when it's RED.

Now, I don't want to misrepresent myself here.  My steak order is medium-rare, and of course I'm even more conservative with burgers.  But not because of taste.

Raspberries.  I can't wait until there are sales on these at the store.  Then I buy a pint and eat the entire thing when I get home, sometimes with dark chocolate chips.  I really don't know what I'm going to do when my kids expect me to start sharing raspberries with them.


Garlic.  It know it's not exciting.  But I'd put garlic in just about anything I made that wasn't dessert and I would think it was an improvement.  I almost always use fresh garlic and I even love the spicy taste of it raw.


Smoked salmon.  I know this is kind of an odd one, but the texture of good smoked salmon is so decadent to me.  I love the flavor as well.  Lox and a bagel is my favorite breakfast.  A couple of months ago, I had the best smoked salmon ever for brunch at the Tabard Inn in Washington DC.  I can still taste it.


Balsamic vinegar.  The flavor is so distinctive and rich.  You could serve me a salad made of grass, and if it were dressed with balsamic vinaigrette, I'd probably eat it.  I also love it in pan sauces.




Vanilla.  Why is vanilla a synonym for boring?  It's simple, but so smooth and satisfying.  I like it in many contexts, not just dessert.  If only the beans weren't so expensive!


Well, my mouth is watering.  Your turn, Princess Granola!

No comments: