Monday, April 4, 2011

Surf 'n Turf

I've been trying to cut back on the amount of red meat we eat. Except for the occasional steak to grill we haven't really noticed. But there are days when my PMS is calling for some extra protein and iron in the form of red meat. Plus Grant really appreciates it when I make a bunch of his favorite dishes that also includes something for him to grill.

Lessons learned:

- Even if it's a really good cut of delicious grass-fed beef, rubbed down with yummy spices and grilled well, my girls still won't eat it.

- Panko really does make the best breading for fried seafood.

- I don't need anything to dip into the mango sauce. I could eat it on a spoon.

The official menu: Grilled strip steak, beer-battered fried shrimp (regular and coconut) with mango sipping sauce, grilled peppers and onions, tri-color cous cous, boiled corn on the cob, twice-baked potato (the last bit of our Omaha Steaks Christmas present from my grandparents- we are mourning the emptiness of our freezer.)
I obviously do not have mad food picture taking skills. Those white things that look like eggs are actually grilled onions. This is a picture of Grant's plate- he doesn't really like corn on the cob... The cous cous was mixed in with the veggies and the little mound on the other side of the steak is half of the last Omaha Steaks twice-baked potato.

I will say this was the best batch of fried shrimp I have ever made. It was perfectly golden and lightly breaded and Grant and I devoured a 1/2 pound of jumbo shrimp. And since our closest grocery only sells beer in 6-packs or larger I have several Heineken's left in the fridge to enjoy.

The girls ate cous cous and some veggies and I gave them some yogurt. Grant wants them to like meat but I say it just means more for us!

Beer-Battered Fried Shrimp - Regular and Coconut
Set out four bowls for dredging the shrimp.

Bowl #1:
enough flour to coat all of your shrimp

Bowl #2:
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup beer
1 1/2 baking powder (I forgot I had recently run out of this and so I couldn't add it and I didn't notice a difference)

Bowl #3:
Panko

Bowl #4:
Shredded sweetened coconut

Roll each shrimp in the flour, then the liquid mix, then either Panko or coconut.

Place on a baking sheet covered in wax paper.

Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Heat oil in a large pot- deep enough to cover one layer of shrimp. Heat it on medium or less. If the oil is too hot it will burn the shrimp and possibly pop and splatter drops of hot oil that may or may not hit the other hot burners on the stove where you are cooking and catch a kitchen towel on fire. It is quite possible I know this from experience.

Fry the shrimp for about 2 minutes, flip and fry 2 more minutes. Drain on a paper towel.

Serve with this amazing sauce:
Mango Dipping Sauce (I've also done this with orange marmalade with equally pleasing results)
Just mix these things according to your taste:

Mango Preserves
Brown, Dijon and/or Yellow Mustard
Horseradish or Vinegar

I've made all sorts of combinations using these ingredients and it is impossible to make it taste bad. I also use this as a marinade for fish.

1 comment:

Cari said...

Emily, one of the reasons I don't blog as much as I'd like is because I can't get my pictures to be good enough, even though I love my camera. This chick is my food photography idol: http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/
I'm pretty sure she uses screens and extra lights as well as the obvious natural lighting. So pretty!