Sunday, April 24, 2011

Penne alla Vodka FAIL

Menu: Penne alla Vodka; Peas with Champagne Vinaigrette

Lessons learned:
  1. Time for a new penne alla vodka recipe.  Now accepting submissions.
  2. I hate angel hair.
I made penne alla vodka for the first time four or five years ago, and it was divine.  It was so good that I took a chance and tripled it (quadrupled it? I can't remember) for my husband's extended Italian family.  That time, it was perfect.  BUT more often than not since then, something goes wrong.  I don't understand this because I do almost the same thing every time, and any adjustments are to try to fix what went wrong the last time.  Once, the sauce still tasted quite alcoholic, so the next time I turned up the heat and the sauce had a burned flavor.  But still I persisted, believing that somehow I could get the delicious pasta sauce I managed those first few times.

My past few attempts have resulted in a singular, persistent problem: the milk separates when I stir in the tomato paste and liquor.  I know this is a common problem when you mix milk with acidic ingredients.  I've tried keeping the heat extremely low, switching the order in which I combine the tomatoes and milk, adding things slowly... it doesn't matter.  Every time, the sauce curdles and looks disgusting, even if the flavor is ok.

To make matters worse, I didn't have any penne.  My choices were angel hair or conchigliette (fat elbows).  I have no idea when or why I purchased angel hair, but I have to hope that I won't be doing it again because I really hate it.  It's hard to handle and doesn't hold any sauce well that I know of.  I also don't know why I chose to make it last night... maybe I had some vague notion of saving the conchigliette for Emily's Homemade Mac 'N Cheese.  Anyway, mistake.  The picture looks ok, but the actual eating experience was not what I was going for.


So I think it's just time to say goodbye to this recipe.  It produced a few very satisfying meals, but I'm sure I can find another one that can measure up, and more reliably.  Here are my requirements: it has to be simple.  I'm not dirtying up my blender to make this dish.  No whole tomatoes; what I loved about the recipe I'm saying goodbye to was the smooth sauce.  And no jarred tomato sauce, either -- that's cheating.

I'm on the lookout.

3 comments:

Claire said...

I know you said no jarred sauce, but I have to tell you - the Emeril Legasse vodka sauce might just change your mind. If you get desperate, I highly recommend it. And if you're really really desperate, I have a recipe from a Rachel Rae cookbook I received as a gift that is fool proof and delicious. (just don't tell anyone I have a Rachel Rae cookbook)

beckim82 said...

Claire, Emeril makes my favorite jarred sauces, too. I actually have come across many (reluctant) recommendations for Rachael Ray's recipe, so I'm going to try that one next!

Claire said...

I'm not a big RR fan, I think she's incredibly obnoxious. But I do have her first two cookbooks, and they are surprisingly good. They are pre-30 Minute Meals, from her cooking class/restaurant days. Nowadays she is just too frantic. I'd rather do 15 minutes of prep and let something braise or roast or simmer for an hour than be crazy for 30 minutes just for the sake of getting dinner cranked out quickly. I can email you the recipe if you want. It might not be the same one on the Food Network website. I maker her quick cassoulet, as well, and it is delicious.