Monday, April 11, 2011

Italian Quiche

I LOVE quiche. The first time I remember eating quiche was at Chez Pierre in Tallahassee about 10 years ago. I was invited to lunch for a friend's birthday and being a poor college-aged person I ordered the cheapest thing on the menu. Broccoli and Cheese Quiche. It was pure culinary delight at first bite. The silly thing that happened next was that it was years (YEARS!) before I ate it again...and then I had to learn to make it myself.

At first I was totally intimidated...how could I make something that could ever compare to that first taste!? Turns out it's pretty easy...

Lessons Learned:
- I don't think there's anything I wouldn't eat in a pie crust smothered with eggs and cheese.

- Double check the recipe BEFORE you make a pie crust... even an easy one.

Official menu: Italian Quiche, green salad with craisins and sunflower seeds in Italian dressing, cantaloupe




Italian Quiche

1 easy pie crust:
1.5 cups of flour (I used white flour this time but I want to try it with whole wheat)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar
3 tablespoons milk

- mix with a fork in a 9x13 baking dish. press into bottom and slightly up sides.

Saute or boil or steam your choice of chopped veggies.
For this one I used:
1 zucchini
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 yellow pepper

- spread the veggies over the crust.

In a mixing bowl whisk together:
8 eggs
Milk (a couple tablespoonsish)
Sage
Salt and Pepper
Garlic
Basil
(this is just what I used for our Italian version...but I mix it up according to the taste I'm going for)

- pour over the veggies.

Top with grated cheese. I used mozzarella and asiago.

Bake at 350 until it is browning on top.

Kid Note:
Zola (age 3) wouldn't even try it...weird. But she ate handfuls of sunflower seeds and craisins. She also ate a bunch of cantaloupe. Niva (16 months) tried everything and ate most of it.

No comments: