Thursday, April 7, 2011

Homemade Mac 'n Cheese

Last night we had some wonderful friends over for dinner. Sam and her two girls who happen to be the same ages as my girls! Both husbands weren't able to be home for dinner so we had a girl's night complete with talking about our periods, 80's music on Pandora, and lots of giggling little girlies. It was fantastic.

I was 14 years old the first time I had macaroni and cheese from a box. I was staying with a friend and I loved it! My mother, chef du jour de la homemade food, was horrified. Since then I've elevated my tastes from Kraft to Annie's in a box but I'm back to realizing homemade is really the best.

Lessons learned:

- Food is always better when shared with friends.

- Homemade macaroni and cheese is a crowd-pleaser (unless your crowd includes someone dairy-free, which our party did not last night)

- A mix of american and sharp cheddar give the pasta slight twist.

- Fruit salad is extra delicious with a little bit of cinnamon.

- When I'm really hungry it's easy to forget to take a picture of the meal.

The official menu:
Homemade macaroni and cheese, broccoli, peas, fruit salad

Mac 'n Cheese My Mom's Way

1 box of elbow macaroni (last night = 1.5 boxes)
1 lb of American cheese (last night = plus 1/2lb sharp cheddar cheese)
Milk
Butter

Boil the elbow macaronies according to the box directions.

Drain the noodles and pour them back into the big pot.

Add some butter. (a couple tablespoons should be enough but it's all about personal taste)

Add some milk. (a tablespoon at a time as needed)

Break the cheese into small chunks. Add a few at a time stirring constantly.

Continue adding milk and cheese until the consistency looks good to you.

Eat. And if you're like me and my dad you'll want to add some pepper to your bowl.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was delicious and fun! Thank you so much and thank you and Becki for this wonderful blog!!!!